Thursday, March 29, 2012

Special Needs Parent



I came across this article "7 Things You Don't Know About A Special Needs Parent". (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-lin/special-needs-parenting_b_1314348.html)


I can relate now.


I hope next time when we meet parents with children with special needs, we will greet them with a more specific question about their child or offer a more specific help or give them a little more grace to help make their lives easier.


I love her comment in the last paragraph - "... true love is meeting someone exactly where he or she is -- no matter how they stack up against what should be."


My friend Sally who adopted two blind children told me the same thing - meet her where she is.  

I am still learning.    

I am reading the book "When God Interrupts: Finding New Life Through Unwanted Change" by Craig Barnes.      It was quite an accident that I picked up this book; I ran into an article that quoted a line from this book, and that caught my attention.

"The transforming moment in Christian conversion comes when we realize that even God has left us.   We then discover it was not God, but our image of God, that abandoned us.   This frees us to discover more of the mystery of God than we knew. "

We are learning hard lessons to let go of our expectation (our image of God), and just wait for God to reveal His most wonderful, mysterious and creative plan.  

Bethany will see Dr. Park at Wilmer Eye Institute at John Hopkins on April 4th.   There are so many behaviors and responses we don't understand.  We hope this will help us understand more about Bethany's blindness and, if any, other issues possibly associated with it.    I covet your prayers and will keep you posted.


No comments: