- Approaches strangers indiscriminately
- Sometimes eager to comply, sometimes uresponsive and dissociate
- Extremely passive
- Fearful of being touch in a certain way
- Excessive fear of trying new things
- Prone to outburst or withdrawals
- Language development and processing issues
- Sensory processing disorder
- Learning difficulties
But, humbly, most days I feel like it is compassion that I completely completely ran dry. So many days, my love, patience and compassion completely ran dry. I have nothing more to give. I am not the right person for the task; the cost to follow His call is too high.....
When I completely ran dry last week, the Lord showed me Isaiah 44,
"Fear not......
For I will pour water on the thirsty land,
and streams on the dry ground;
I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring,
and my blessing on your descendants.
They shall spring up among the grass
like willows by flowing streams.
This one will say, ‘I am the Lord's,’
another will call on the name of Jacob,
and another will write on his hand, ‘The Lord's,’
and name himself by the name of Israel.”
God has put us on a totally different path this time; A path that I humbly confess, I wouldn't have chosen. Nevertheless, His grace and mercy catches us every time we fall short or lose ground in faith.
Recently, Bethany always tell me, "Mommy, I am happy" or "Mommy, I love you", several times a day, out of the blue. I have no idea where she got that from. (Our kids don't usually walk around the house and tell me they are happy... LOL) But these are definitely precious moments that sustained us in this journey.
I found myself getting caught in between hoping and not hoping all the time. I try not to have high hope or expectation for Bethany, because as hard as I fight, disappointment and frustration over taken me when she still doesn't get it after we practiced a hundred times. But at the same time, as her mother, I want to set high expectation and give her the best resources I can find or afford, because I don't know where her limits are, and there is always the thought "may be....just may be she will get it next time, or 5 more times, or 10 more times." I can't give up hope and dream for her, because I am her mother.
There is always these questions in my mind - Will she ever grow out of her developmental delays and all these emotional issues? Does she has permanent cognitive impairment? Will she stay at the level of a 3-year-old for the rest of her life? It is so scary. I try not to think about that, but just take one day at a time. I am often reminded that this journey is not about my way, but His way. It is not about my child, but His child. May be, in God's eyes, it really doesn't matter if she will be "normal" again. She is where she should be now.
No comments:
Post a Comment